COVID-19 is keeping most of us at home this holiday season, so let Bookshare help you make it jolly.
Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, the Bookshare community has been resilient. Despite the disruption to in-person classrooms, the sudden shift to distance learning, and the upheaval in the lives of families across the US and around the world, the community has maintained its commitment to students. Bookshare thanks the legions of educators, parents, school staff, caregivers, and friends who continue to support students, especially those with reading barriers, who are most vulnerable.
Thank you to the teachers who made it possible for us to access Bookshare. And to Bookshare for making it possible to have a platform of books available to everyone.– Cecille, student
As we head into the holiday season, we hope members of the Bookshare community around the world can share gifts of kindness and compassion as we hold on for better times ahead. And with many regions under stay-at-home restrictions, it’s the perfect opportunity to fill the hours with engaging books from Bookshare.
Countdown to Joyful Holiday Reading
Do you want to add some joy and jolly to your holiday? Dig into some captivating books in the vast Bookshare library. Browse through 600 specially curated reading lists to find your favorites or start with these popular books:
- Holiday Stories for Kids
- Read-Alikes (“If you liked Holes or the Percy Jackson Series, try these similar books”)
- New York Times 100 Notable Books of 2020
- Special interest collections for elementary and middle school students:
- This Is Your Time by Ruby Bridges – one of the earliest activists for racial justice was Ruby Bridges, the first black child to integrate an all-white elementary school in New Orleans. Her legacy encourages us to continue the struggle for equity and justice.
- The Library of Ever by Zeno Alexander – Lenora discovers a secret doorway into a library that contains all the universe’s wisdom
Make reading even more fun by sharing what you’ve read. Tell a friend about what you read, set up a Zoom book club with a family member, or draw pictures of your favorite characters. You can even keep a list of the books you read to show your teacher.
Best Wishes for a Safe and Healthy Holiday Season
Our wish this holiday season is that everyone stays safe and healthy as we look forward to a brighter year ahead.
Please note that our offices will be closed from December 24 -January 1.