Keep your child engaged with this fun and easy reading program featuring hand-picked reading lists, tips to encourage reading, and a pledge form
As communities practice social distancing this summer, parents and children will be spending more time together than usual. This is an opportunity for parents of children with learning differences to connect with their kids on things other than school and to help them grow. Bookshare’s #AllInTogether Summer Read-a-thon is an excellent way to make summer reading fun and create a social experience for the whole family. Here are some handy summer reading tips for parents.
Summer Reading Tips for Parents
Most children need guidance and encouragement to help them establish positive reading habits during the unstructured summer months. These tips will help them get a strong start:
- Talk about their interests. Whether it’s skateboarding, Star Wars, or sharks, help them identify their passions and get excited to learn more.
- Find books to match their passions. Bookshare has over 870,000 titles, so they are sure to find many choices. They can also explore books in these lists of handpicked summer reads.
- Make a pledge together. Set a goal of how many books they want to read this summer.
- Give them the time and space to read. Bookshare makes it easier for students with learning, visual, and physical disabilities to read, so let them read and enjoy books on their own.
- Celebrate what they’ve read. Make reading fun and social by talking about books with family and friends, or with the broader Bookshare community through our #AllInTogether celebrations.
Take the Pledge and Join the 200K Challenge
Download this pledge form to help children set goals, log the books they read, and make a commitment to keep their reading on track over the summer. Join Bookshare readers from around the world to escape, enjoy, and explore books for every age and level.
By July 31, the Bookshare community has a goal of reading 200,000 ebooks. We invite all Bookshare members to join the #AllInTogether Summer Read-a-thon challenge!